Friday, May 30, 2008

Two weeks down

and a lifetime to go. It's crazy that I've only been at this running thing for 2 weeks, and I'm already getting that runner's high I've heard so much about. Don't believe me? I just ran. On a Friday night. At 9:00pm. And I feel great!

Maybe I should back up a bit. I'm out of shape, and I have been since before giving birth to my beautiful daughter just over 21 months ago. I used to try and stay in shape prior to that, but then I started my own business, and things got crazy. I barely had enough time to shower and eat, nevermind actually exercise. My view on a lot of things changed after I had my daughter. I want to be strong and fit so that I can do all the things she's doing. I don't want to be afraid to go down the slide with her at the park, fearing that I might break the slide. I want to be a healthy, positive role model for her. So, that's my driving force.

Oh yeah, I'm 32. I'm a virgo. And I'm a slooooow runner.

A couple weeks ago I downloaded the Nike+ Running Program with Serena Williams from iTunes. I toughed through it the first week, and I'm going strong at about a 13-minute mile, if I could run for that long in one stretch. I also just downloaded the Couch to 5k podcast, and I think I'll do that once or twice a week, mix in the Serena program once, and maybe find one other to help keep the variety. I'll get into the specifics of my progress on all of these on a semi-daily basis, but right now just know that my maximum continuous run is 4 minutes at about 4.7 mph on the treadmill.

And let the journey begin.

No comments: